How do I file for support and what should I bring with me?

Save time by completing the online Request for Support Services. We can access the answers provided and complete the process in our offices. File for support either by appearing, in person or through an attorney, in the Domestic Relations Section offices during normal office hours. Meet with an Intake Scheduling Specialist between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to file a Complaint or Petition.

Filing a New Complaint

When filing a New Complaint for support, the following information must be provided to the Domestic Relations Section:

  • Birth certificates for the child(ren) (For Interstate Cases)
  • If there is or was an order of support in any other state or court bring a copy of that order or information concerning that case as wel
  • Names of both the custodial and noncustodial parents
  • Social Security Cards (not just numbers) for the child(ren)
  • Their address
  • Their date of birth
  • Their place of employment
  • Their Social Security Number

Show All Answers

1. What is support and who may receive it?
2. How do I file for support and what should I bring with me?
3. What if there is a Protection From Abuse order against the person from whom I am seeking support?
4. How is the support amount determined?
5. How paternity is established and why is it important?
6. What must I do if I receive an Order to appear for a support conference or hearing?
7. Where do I go for support conferences or hearings?
8. Do I have to appear for my support hearing if I live outside of Washington County, Pennsylvania?
9. What are the rules to participate by phone and how do I request to do this?
10. What will happen if I don’t appear for a conference or hearing before the Court?
11. What happens at a support conference?
12. What happens at a support hearing?
13. How do I file exceptions?
14. What are my obligations if I receive public assistance benefits?
15. What are my obligations while I have an active support case?
16. How do I change my support order?
17. What do I do if I am paying spousal support and a divorce is granted?
18. What do I do if one of the children who I pay support for turns 18 and graduates high school?
19. What is PACSES?
20. How do I pay my support?
21. What do I do if I cannot pay my support?
22. What type of enforcement actions may be taken if I don't pay my support?
23. What if my driver's license is suspended for failure to pay support?
24. What is SCDU and how do I obtain information concerning payments?
25. How do I collect unreimbursed medical expenses under my order of support?
26. What is the PACSES IVR and how do I use it?