What do I do if I am paying spousal support and a divorce is granted?

The Domestic Relations Section does not handle divorce and does not know when a divorce is granted and does not automatically adjust support orders to remove spousal support.

Spousal Support

If a noncustodial parent is paying both child and spousal support and the order is unallocated, they must file a petition for modification to remove the spousal support. They should bring a copy of the divorce decree and marriage settlement agreement or stipulation to the support conference.

If a spouse is paying spousal support/APL only, Local rules of court L-1910.17-3 and 1910.17-4 govern. In most instances, necessary changes can be done without a modification conference.

Divorce Decree & Marriage Settlement

Copies of the divorce decree and marriage settlement agreement/stipulation must be provided to the Domestic Relations office. The documents must indicate a date that the support should stop, deal with any required medical coverages /costs and indicate how any arrears accrued should be handled.

Show All Answers

1. What is support and who may receive it?
2. How do I file for support?
3. What if there is a Protection From Abuse order against the person from whom I am seeking support?
4. How is the support amount determined?
5. How paternity is established and why is it important?
6. What must I do if I receive an Order to appear for a support conference or hearing?
7. Where do I go for support conferences or hearings?
8. Do I have to appear for my support hearing if I live outside of Washington County, Pennsylvania?
9. What are the rules to participate by phone and how do I request to do this?
10. What will happen if I don’t appear for a conference or hearing before the Court?
11. What happens at a support conference?
12. What happens at a support hearing?
13. How do I file exceptions?
14. What are my obligations if I receive public assistance benefits?
15. What are my obligations while I have an active support case?
16. How do I change my support order?
17. What do I do if I am paying spousal support and a divorce is granted?
18. What do I do if one of the children who I pay support for turns 18 and graduates high school?
19. What is PACSES?
20. How do I pay my support?
21. What do I do if I cannot pay my support?
22. What type of enforcement actions may be taken if I don't pay my support?
23. What if my driver's license is suspended for failure to pay support?
24. What is SCDU and how do I obtain information concerning payments?
25. How do I collect unreimbursed medical expenses under my order of support?
26. What is the PACSES IVR and how do I use it?