How do I collect unreimbursed medical expenses under my order of support?

Under the Pennsylvania Rules of Court, the custodial parent is responsible to make full payment for the first $250 per person per year of unreimbursed medical expenses. Amounts over that $250 per person per year limit are subject to allocation and contribution by the noncustodial parent as prescribed by the order of support.

Unreimbursed Medical Expenses

The term "unreimbursed medical expenses" includes medical services and supplies; surgical, dental and optical services, and orthodontia. Unless specifically included by the order of support cosmetic, chiropractic, psychiatric or psychological services are not included in this allocation.

If expenses of this type are not already enumerated in the existing support order, the custodial parent must file a petition for modification asking that these expenses be included in the order of support in order to seek reimbursement.

Noncustodial Parent Contributing to Medical Expenses

When the current order of support requires the noncustodial parent to make payment or contribution toward unreimbursed medical expenses not covered by health insurance, the custodial parent must first send a copy of every medical bill or invoice to the noncustodial parent, via certified mail, return receipt requested, with a listing of each bill and their share of payment. Upon receipt, the noncustodial parent must make payment within thirty days.

Contact Us

Please contact the Domestic Relations Services for medical expense reimbursement form and instructions.

Show All Answers

1. What is support and who may receive it?
2. How do I file for support?
3. What if there is a Protection From Abuse order against the person from whom I am seeking support?
4. How is the support amount determined?
5. How paternity is established and why is it important?
6. What must I do if I receive an Order to appear for a support conference or hearing?
7. Where do I go for support conferences or hearings?
8. Do I have to appear for my support hearing if I live outside of Washington County, Pennsylvania?
9. What are the rules to participate by phone and how do I request to do this?
10. What will happen if I don’t appear for a conference or hearing before the Court?
11. What happens at a support conference?
12. What happens at a support hearing?
13. How do I file exceptions?
14. What are my obligations if I receive public assistance benefits?
15. What are my obligations while I have an active support case?
16. How do I change my support order?
17. What do I do if I am paying spousal support and a divorce is granted?
18. What do I do if one of the children who I pay support for turns 18 and graduates high school?
19. What is PACSES?
20. How do I pay my support?
21. What do I do if I cannot pay my support?
22. What type of enforcement actions may be taken if I don't pay my support?
23. What if my driver's license is suspended for failure to pay support?
24. What is SCDU and how do I obtain information concerning payments?
25. How do I collect unreimbursed medical expenses under my order of support?
26. What is the PACSES IVR and how do I use it?